Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Dig Log #1


A recurring section where I dissect my recent vinyl findings. These are all albums I actually purchased. The goal is to keep it under about $43 (usually 3 or 4 pieces depending on the Used luck). Please go out and support the artists you love. Buy music!

Everyday Music, Seattle---

In Flagranti - Firmly Planted Memories - Very exciting Black Mambazo body mover from this super-duper slept on. The vocal sample echoes in my mind, a tribal séance kind of mantra. Please tell me what it says so I can sing along with the right words for once. This Brooklyn duo has hit their stride. The cover design – while not as lewd as I’m used – has taken an interesting turn towards new directions. Banger status from the Codek camp!


Optimo - Psyche Out - Selected cuts from their mix released on Eskimo. Glad I took a chance on this one. Didn’t recognize any of the tracks but one, the Dinosaur (left out the L) jam “Kiss Me Again.” Skatt Bros bring the easy standout with Walk The Night, but every song knocks… cosmic, freaky and fun.

Skatt Bros. - Walk The Night

Michael Mayer - Touch - This one was used and I couldn’t pass it up. We were seeing him the next night and I’d never even heard this solo full length. A solid listen, very characteristic of the signature Kompakt sound, but definitely best for a single song here or there.



No comments: